Sunday, May 21, 2023

Week Ending May 20, 2023

Incoming

Fast Eyes - Fast Eyes sent this fish add & pass.  It will be fun to add to the scene.  Maybe it's my imagination, but I think the add & passes are starting to get more creative.

And a few extras were in the envelope.


Mim - Mim sent me a couple of add & passes, and she included a couple of fun extras.


Karen Champlin - I love the vintage look to her stuff.


Unknown - This is a collaged post card.  I really like it and I would like to thank the person, and send something in return, but I can't figure out who sent it.  If you sent this, or know who did, please let me know. 

When I enlarge the post mark I can make out some of the letters, but not enough for it to be familiar to me.  I know it's from within the US because it has a US post card stamp on it.

Edit to add this note: When I asked on IUOMA the consensus seems to be Dean aka Artist on the Seine.  Even though his profile says he's taking a break, someone else received something from him recently too.  I can't explain the US postage stamp, maybe he's visiting the states, but it does look like his work, so I'm going with that unless I find out differently later.



Outgoing


Other Stuff

As some of you know, I'm moving the 30th of this month to a different apartment within the same building.  A few people already started using the new apartment number, so Thursday morning I left a note on the mailbox for the mailman.  In the note I let him know I'm moving from one apartment to the another apartment, and I have some mail coming addressed to my new apartment.  I asked him not to return it, and let him know the people have already moved out of that apartment.

This afternoon he buzzed my apartment, so I went down.  He wanted to let me know he got my note.  Then he asked me about mail art.  He said he enjoyed looking at the decorated envelopes I receive from all over the world, and he was curious about it so he looked it up online.  He really did his research because everything I told him about he was familiar with.  He only had a couple of basic questions which weren't really questions but more confirmation.  I told him IUOMA is a great place to start because there are so many mail artists on there.

He seemed excited about it, and I wouldn't be surprised if he joins.  This interaction made me so happy!  There are too many people in my non mail art life that just don't 'get it', so I fully enjoyed this conversation.


Stay groovy,
Pam

4 comments:

BomTrown said...

Thanks Pam for sharing the story about the mailman. I was happy to share because I've been wanting to ask a postal person about mail art, but haven't had the chance. Yeah...boring postage stamps...not thrilling.

No, that wasn't the response I was looking for from the USPS. They turned it into a Drink Your Ovaltine kind of moment (like in the Christmas Story movie), either intentionally or just because they have no idea what mail art is.

Also, thanks. I joined that island mail art event that you told me about.

Pam said...

You are very welcome for both the mailman story and the island mail. I think the USPS response was a little of both. I don't think they really know what mail art is and I don't think they wanted to deal with it. Their loss!

Monster A Go-Go said...

Oh my stars! Is iy my connection? ALL of this is familiar--even the comment from Tom and your response! Are my comments not posting? It seems I said something about Norman (PSYCHO) Bates' house being on the fish's back! No? Hmm. Cheers!

Pam said...

You're right! I remember you saying something about Norman Bates' house too. OMG! My blog is haunted!!!